Found: School Clocktower
An article published earlier this week detailed the disappearance of the school clocktower. This was particularly mysterious, as no mention had been made to any planned renovations or alterations in assemblies. No clues were available to its whereabouts, so we were left guessing.
However, a particularly observant student, with camera in hand, inadvertently came across the structure on a day trip to our capital city. With lens pointed and focus adjusted, he took a photograph and communicated the image to The Bournemouthian, asking for confirmation that it really was the tower with which he was familiar.
To the great surprise of the editors, the image clearly shows the copper clocktower above the central pediment of the 1847 east wing of Buckingham Palace (remodelled into its current appearance in 1913), designed by architect Edward Blore. Directly below the tower is the balcony from which the royals acknowledge crowds gathered on the Mall, which, on such occasions, is draped in red velvet.
Apparently the House of Windsor considered their neoclassical façade incomplete without a timepiece, and we are only too glad that our clocktower was transferred to a good home where it shall be used well.
As for our own school building, one can only hope that a like-for-like tower is installed in the spirit of its (now royal) predecessor.